ONTARIO CSA FARM DIRECTORY
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
With the prominence of issues in the news such as climate change, the use of pesticides, fertilizers and genetic engineering is causing people to become more concerned with food safety, sustainability and where their food comes from.
YOU CAN'T GET ANY FRESHER!
IMAGINE getting field-fresh fruit and vegetables straight from the garden, hand-picked on the day you receive it?
All CSA farms offer fresher, healthier alternatives to produce loaded with chemicals, picked too early, left to rippen in crates, offering fewer nutrients, and shipped for hundreds or thousands of kilometres before making it to your plate.
ALWAYS MEAN GOOD!
CSA has never been about "cheap food" which in most cases, is never fresh, tasty or grown in healthy environments.
Compare the prices, varieties and quality of your local CSA's products to the grocer's “cheap food”. You'll be aMaZed at the difference!
BRINGING THE FARMERS TO YOU...
TASTE and freshness
- Local food is FRESHER and tastes better than food picked before ripening that has been shipped thousands of kilometres
- Local farmers offer food varieties not bred for shipping and long shelf life, but rather for QUALITY
Strengthens YOUR Local Economy
- Buying local food keeps your dollars circulating in your COMMUNITY
- Each local food purchase keeps your money going to the LOCAL farmer, who in turn spends money in the local community
WHY BUY LOCAL FOOD?
Local Food Makes Sense ...
Becoming a member of a CSA creates a relationship between people and the food they eat, the land on which it is grown and those who grow it. This supportive relationship helps to create an economically stable farm operation. The members receive quality produce, In return, farmers are guaranteed a reliable market for a diverse selection of crops. The farmers sustain the local economy by making local purchases for a win-win situation!.
BENEFITS for the Entire Family
- Safe food comes from CSA farmers who avoid or REDUCE the use of chemicals, pesticides or genetically modified seed
- This in turn produces healthy soil and healthy products to last for GENERATIONS to come
- Local food doesn't travel far, REDUCING carbon dioxide emissions from transportation lines and packing crates
- Organic methods BENEFIT the soil, air, water, wildlife and people in the farm ecosystem
IF WE DON'T TAKE BACK CONTROL OF OUR LAND, WHO WILL?
HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Our actions or in-actions have a direct effect on the Earth. Therefore, proper care of the environment is the concern and responsibility of every individual. It is ultimately the consumer who needs to make the right choice. Support the farmers who grow products in healthy
For too many years pesticides, herbicides, chemicals and artificial fertilizers have been used. And, for too many years the residue from that "toxic goop" has been oozing into the ground water. Is it any wonder that many diseases today have increased ten-fold since the early 1900's?
THE FUTURE OF OUR LAND IS AT RISK
In the US alone, more than 1 million acres of farmland is lost each year to urban development. The average age of the few remaining farmers in the US is 65. In the coming years, 80% of US farmland will change hands to their children who won't continue farming.
The future of land ownership is questionable. Small farms are struggling to survive and new ones are few in starting due to high costs of land and equipment. With the advent of CSA growers, farmers and consumers work together to ensure a supply of healthy food while growers survive economically.